Thursday, October 16, 2008

Arc de Triumph

I learned a song in French class years ago about the Champs Elysees and have wanted to go there ever since. The Champs Elysees is a famous avenue in Paris that leads from the Place de la Concord (where Marie Antoinette was guillotined and where an ancient obelisk stands) to the Arc de Triumph. The street is lined with trees and there are expenxive shops and cafe's. You go here to see and to be seen. Napoleon wanted to have the Arc de Triumph built so his soldiers could pass under it when returning home from war. It was started during his reign, but work on it was haulted when Napoleon was put in prison and then exiled. The monument was finished later by a king and now stands in the middle of the craziest roundabout you have ever witnessed. This area is also called "etoile" which means star in french because 12 roads radiate from the Arc. We came here at night and couldn't make since of the traffic flow!
Looking down the Champs Elysees.


The Arc de Triumph. You take an undergroung tunnel to get the Arc. It would be suicide to cross that roundabout!


Good thing it was dark because Courtney decided that she needed to eat and have a nappy change when we got to the Arc. She is so happy in the picture because she has a full belly and a dry bum!


"Look! I am really here!"


To take this picture, we went into the street during a red light and then ran back to the safety of the sidewalk. It is the only way to get a shot from the street.

2 comments:

Erin The Great said...

Being the History Buff that I am, might I say how jealous I am of your trip to Paris, as well as various other places you've been over teh last little while.... seriously green with envy :)

Rachel said...

YOu are so cute. I love Courtney's huge smile in that pic on your lap. She is one happy girl!